by John Cameron
Details Paid Positions:
Project Coordinator x 1
Ski Coaches x 2
Also welcoming many volunteers to help
Deadline: October 12, 2022
CCNS is looking for a 1) Try-it Event Coordinator and 2) two ski instructors for the ‘New Canadians on Skis’ project. We invite applications for either position or both positions at the same time. We are also welcoming volunteers to help!
The objective of the project is to support new Canadians to participate in cross country skiing. The project is a collaboration between CCNS, Scotia XC, and the Immigrant Settlement Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS). The project is funded by the Nordiq Canada Equity Initiative and Sport Canada.
Each position has an honorarium:
- Try-it event coordinator: $750
- Ski instructors: $250
Background on project
The ‘New Canadians on Skis’ project involves 3 components:
- Three try-it events in winter 2023 with approximately 30 participants each
- Participation by 10 youth in Scotia XC youth programs
- Participation by 6 adults in a ‘New to Snow’ learn to ski program, focused on participants with little or no previous experience on snow.
Try-It Event Coordinator: Responsibilities
The Try-It Event Coordinator will be responsible to organize and implement three try-it events for new Canadians, in collaboration with CCNS, Scotia XC and the Immigrant Settlement Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS) + Brunello Golf Club.
- The Try-it events will take place between January and early March 2023. The organizing work will begin in November 2022.
- The participants will likely have little or no previous ski experience.
- Event organization will involve close coordination with ISANS staff, Scotia XC, CCNS and Brunello Golf Club as well as organizing bus transportation, arranging snacks/hot chocolate, and coordinating volunteers.
- The Try-it Event Coordinator will need to coordinate with staff at Brunello Golf Club to become familiar with facilities and policies where the event will take place, and coordinate logistics according to Brunello’s policies.
Try-It Event Coordinator: Skills and Experience
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Organization of events that involve collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
- Experience or interest in working with new Canadians and reducing the barriers to participation in skiing and other sports for under-represented groups
- At least some familiarity with teaching beginner adults + youth how to cross country ski
- Experience or willingness to work with a team of volunteers
Ski Instructor Position(s)
The ski instructor(s) will design and deliver a ‘New to Snow’ program to teach participants with little or no previous experience on snow how to ski. The design for the program should be explained in an ‘instructor’s manual’ that can be shared with other cross country ski organizations.
- The ‘New to Snow’ program will involve 6-8 participants, with no previous ski experience. English will not be their first language.
- Depending on the participants, the program may also involve youth (e.g., if participants are families with adults and children)
- The instructor(s) will design and deliver the program, drawing on resources from Nordiq Canada.
- The instructors will communicate regularly with program participants, ISANS and CCNS to ensure that the participants have a positive and safe experience.
- The instructors will help CCNS and Scotia XC to coordinate transportation for participants.
Ski instructor(s): Skills and Experience
- Previous experience teaching beginners to ski
- Very strong communication skills
- Commitment to reducing the barriers to participation in XC skiing
Contact John Cameron: email@example.com
How to Apply
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 12.
Please indicate which position(s) you are applying for.
Please include the names + contact info for two references who can comment on your relevant skills and experience.
Please put ‘Application for New Canadians on Skis Project’ in subject line.