OVERVIEW / LEVELS / NOVA SCOTIA CLUB PROGRAMS / COMPLEMENTARY PROGRAMS / LINKS
SKILLS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Learn Through Play.
The SDP is an established age-specific program developed to teach cross-country skiing and lifestyle to skiers of all abilities, from ages 4 – 12 years. Programs are delivered following a proven method of teaching cross-country skiing.
Cross Country Nova Scotia supports our member clubs to promote cross-country skiing for participants of all abilities, ages, and backgrounds.
Clubs offer supportive programs that make skiing fun, and encourage children to try new movements within a supportive environment.
The Skills Development Program teaches age appropriate skills through a series of games with an emphasis on “fun”. Young athletes and parent helpers will learn skill, balance, strength, and endurance. Along the way, athletes make many new ski friends, while surrounded by nature. All program levels correspond with the Long Term Athlete Development Model (LTAD).
Many provincial, national, and international-level athletes started out in this program. Competitive athletes transition from the development program to the competitive pathway at approximately age 12.
Young athletes who display an aptitude for cross-country skiing are identified by club coaches and recommended to the Provincial Team, for consideration. Learn more about the Provincial Team (click link).
- Encourage fun & participation in a team / social atmosphere.
- Develop Agility, Balance, Coordination & speed.
- Introduce competition in a team environment whenever possible.
- Good technique habits, through repeated practice using Jackrabbit awards
- Utilize games and ski playgrounds to develop technique, speed skills & fitness.
Nova Scotia Club Programs
Learn more about cross-country ski programs offered in your area, by contacting your local club. View a listing of the cross-country ski clubs in Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Cross-Country Program Features
- Follow the national Skill Development Programs.
- Recruit qualified coaches, encouraging parent involvement.
- Create an inclusive learning environment for all ages and abilities.
- Teach technical cross-country skills.
- Foster a healthy lifestyle.
- Increase an appreciation for nature.
- Governed by Safe Sport policy.
Program participants at Halifax Nordic Club, prior to lesson start time at The Links at Brunello.
Be sure to arrive early for lessons… the youngsters are serious about play, with their ski friends.
OVERVIEW / LEVELS / COMPLEMENTARY PROGRAMS / LINKS
Enter your e-mail to receive updates about Nova Scotia’s cross-country ski community and Nordiq Canada.